Paris Super Instagrammable
Welcome to the most famous English-speaking bookstore in Paris. It opened its doors in 1951 and immediately became a literary reference on the Left Bank.However, it is not here that it all began. Indeed the first bookshop with this name opened its doors in 1919, rue de l'Odéon.
Sylvia Beach, its founder, welcomed all the expatriate American writers of the time. It was also she who published in 1922 Ulysses by her friend James Joyce.
The bookshop closed its doors in 1941, at the time of the occupation of Paris by the Germans.
When one of Sylvia Beach's friends, George Whitman, opened his bookstore Le Mistral on rue de la Bucherie, she regularly visited him.
And it was she who invited him to take back the name Shakespeare and Company, which he did in 1964. Today, the bookstore is backed by a coffee shop. Both are equally photogenic, so treat yourself!