Mosquée Ibn Touloun
Propriétaire de ce lieu ?Accéder à votre espace
Connectez-vous pour modifier vos informations et accédez à vos statistiques détaillées.
La communauté mapstr
Ce qu'en disent les utilisateurs
Approuvé par 2 partenaires officiels
Autres lieux à voir autour
Khân al-Khalili Cairo, Égypte Ajouté par181 utilisateurs
Musée égyptien du Caire Tahrir Square, Meret Basha, Qasr an Nile, Cairo Governorate 11516, Égypte Ajouté par153 utilisateurs
Egyptian Museum Ismailia, Qasr an Nile, Cairo Governorate, Égypte Ajouté par139 utilisateurs
Koshary Abou Tarek Champollion Rd, Marouf, Qasr an Nile, Cairo Governorate, Égypte Ajouté par143 utilisateurs
Le Caire Le Caire, Gouvernorat du Caire, Égypte Ajouté par94 utilisateurs
Café Riche Bab Al Louq, Abdin, Cairo Governorate, Égypte Ajouté par91 utilisateurs
Taboula Qasr Ad Dobarah, Qasr an Nile, Cairo Governorate, Égypte Ajouté par83 utilisateurs
Citadelle du Caire Al Abageyah, Qesm Al Khalifah, Cairo Governorate, Égypte Ajouté par98 utilisateurs
Four Seasons Hotel Cairo at Nile Plaza 1089 Corniche El Nil, Qasr an Nile, Cairo Governorate 11519, Égypte Ajouté par53 utilisateurs
Hotel Sofitel Cairo El Gezirah Masr_eskanderiya St, Cairo Governorate 11518, Égypte Ajouté par71 utilisateurs
"Vu au Louvres - Arts de l’islam "
"UNESCO World Heritage The Arabs invaded Egypt in 639 and established a military base at Cairo in 642, outside the old Roman fortress and the existing settlement. Immigrants soon started to arrive from Arabia, and Cairo grew into a thriving town. Egypt was administered from here by governors, who were appointed by the Umayyad caliphs of Damascus. In 750 the Abbasids took over the caliphate and moved their capital to Baghdad. In 868 a thirty-three-year-old Turkish general from Baghdad, Ahmad In Tulun, was appointed governor of Egypt. He soon established himself as the independent ruler of Egypt and built himself a luxurious palace in Cairo. It was equipped with a pool of quicksilver where, according to legend, in Tulun floated on cushions pulled to and fro by slave girls. He also built a mosque big enough for his entire army. Today, the mosque is all that is left of his grand capital and it is still the largest mosque in Cairo. It has a central courtyard covering more than 4 acres (2 ha) and is surrounded by massive double walls. Its wooden minbar or pulpit was added in 1296 by Sultan Lagin, who restored the mosque in gratitude after hiding there from enemies. He also rebuilt the minaret, which had been created with an unusual spiral stairway on the outside. An enjoyable story attributes the original design of this staircase to In Tulun. According to legend, In Tulun was idly winding a piece of paper around his finger at a meeting, instead of paying attention to the problems being debated. When asked what he was doing, he hastily replied that he was designing his mosque. Although the mosque remained in use for several hundred years after In Tulun's death (in 884), by the nineteenth century it was being used as a military hospital, then as a prison. Restoration work began in 1918 and again in 2004."
"Bricks and stucco, traditional style. 879."
"Horaire: lundi au samedi 8h-16h. Durée: 1-2h"